Newbie’s Week of Lampwork – day 5

Friday 26th

Today I made pairs of spacers to practice getting everything properly round and to serve as a colour reference. I was making them two to a mandrel… and I got my first stuck and broken beads. (I was pretty sure the stuck one was going to happen – the bead release broke as I was winding it on). It’s annoying they both happened with the petrol green, because I really love that colour. When I get a kiln I’m definitely going to try slumping the broken halves into cabochons.

Newbie day 5 beads

Here they’re all lined up after the stuck one.

Newbie day 5 beads onna stick

Petrol green, white with aqua blue frit, transparent red (the baby one is me winding off the end of my red twistie from that rod), transparent orange, dark amber. I assume I overstruck the red here… though it isn’t quite as brown in other lighting.

Then the squarish one is me having a go with my Zoozii Mini Duo press. Pale blue transparent with two lines of green twistie on either side.

Advertisements

, , ,

  1. #1 by Carol Tannahill on March 5, 2010 - 1:00 am

    Embrace serendipity! A trick taught to me is to glue beads split down the middle to earring posts and voila! It goes back to Roman times. Pretend you meant it. Nice work! Keep going (as if you’ll be able to stop)! BTW, striking colors are a pain.

    • #2 by Kalorlo on March 5, 2010 - 8:51 am

      Ooh, cunning! Thanks for coming by :)

      I’ve been trying some encasing this week, with variable success. Still great fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: