Lampwork: weeks 13-14

[May 18 – 30]

I had a go with my Reichenbach silver brown. It seems I can get some colour in lentils, but I’m not having much luck with rounds, either overheating to get blue/brown/grey, or it going entirely transparent and invisible! It’s a colour that reduces and then strikes when you encase it, which you have to do keeping it very cool. I tried over various base colours. I’ve since had some advice about a slightly different encasing method that helps keep it cool (see Laura Sparling’s encasing tutorials), so hopefully I’ll get some better results…

Reichenbach silver brown


In most of the small ones all that you see is the base colour I put it over. Here are the lentils where I got some colour – the smaller one is over cobalt, the larger over clear.

Silver brown lentils

This is a dark ivory lentil with silver brown stringer on top, reduced, and random trails of clear on top.

Silver brown on ivory lentil

My glass nippers arrived at this point, so I could start using my murrini.

Bicone: clear in the centre, dark ivory one end, dark turquoise the other, capped ends with clear. I raked one side over to the other with a silver brown stringer and added a dot at the end, then added some of my green murrini.

Murrini bicone

Dark ivory lentil with silver brown swirled trails. One each of my current murrini on each side (black and white, coral and lime, green). Also a large dot of silver brown reduced and covered with clear, and some smaller dots.

Ivory lentil with murrini

Petrol green encased in clear lentil. Some SIS and the coral and lime murrini.

Green lentil with murrini

Dark ivory base, raked silver brown stringer and reduced. It was shaped into an oval with Magdalena Ruiz multitool, which I found a bit tricky. Need to practise using that a bit more! It needs a 1.6mm mandrel and I’ve been using 2mm exclusively recently.

Ivory oval

Murrini in CiM french blue, dark turquoise transparent, dark turquoise and daffodil yellow. The yellow appears as greenish.

Blue-green murrini

These three are all reactive frit on a base of uranium yellow. There is Gaffer silver blue lustre frit, Reichenbach iris green (the coppery one) and Kugler silver green. They were all reduced, though the iris green’s the only one that has much visible effect.

Fritty lentils

Murrini in red, yellow and white.

Red and yellow murrini

Periwinkle set with blue-green and red-yellow murrini flowers.

Periwinkle with murrini set

Vetrofond med lapis lentil with silver green frit, reduced. The effect is rather subtle, but it’s a beautiful deep blue with variations from the frit.

Lapis lentil

Periwinkle murrini.

Periwinkle murrini

Complex green murrini. They have two med lapis spokes near the centre and my gather was pretty enormous before I pulled it! (Ok, they aren’t particularly complex… the name helps me identify them though!)

Complex green murrini

Here we have, left to right:
1. Gravity swirled CiM dirty martini on adamantium.
2. Reichenbach mystic grey-blue lentil with complex green murrini.
3-5. Reichenbach magic rounds with complex green murrini. Matching lentil that also has coral in it.
6. Vetrofond med lapis round, encased in clear, then vine cane added. Mostly encased again and periwinkle murrini put on top. I balanced the shape back to round by adding a few more dots of clear here and there and melting them in.

Week 14 selection

Kitties! The smaller one is pearl grey with light grey spots, the larger is Reichenbach magic with black dots, a little light pink nose and whiskers.

Kitties!

Rainbow murrini. After all the ones I’ve been making that have extra stripes and things in the middle, I decided to do some very simple ones that just have more colours round the edge. A couple are transparents, next time I’ll stick to opaques.

Rainbow murrini

More critters! The owl is Reichenbach multicolour dark. Its eyes were meant to be amber but it turned out my stringer was striking orange instead, so they went red. Then there’s a cow bead from Emma Green’s tutorial.

An owl and a cow!

These are Reichenbach ocean with my rainbow murrini. I plunged and dotted the ones on the lentil with clear, and they look a bit like jellyfish! I used some of the teeniest ones on the rounds, poked the centres and left them part raised.

Ocean with rainbow murrini

Three lentils: one of Reichenbach antique green with a red, turquoise, yellow and dark turquoise twistie on it. (Antique green’s a bit like very very diluted goldstone – it has little shimmers in it). Then a rather unsuccessful attempt to strike magic on top of cobalt blue, and finally a lentil of multicolour dark.

Three lentils

Advertisements

, , , , ,

  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: