This pair of beads are CiM sangre encased in clear. Sangre’s a very handy transparent red – unlike Effetre striking red, it doesn’t go brown easily, and if you’re using a hothead, you probably won’t notice it’s a striking glass at all. The rod’s red, you wind it on and shape and it’s still red! On a minor you can go through the clear stage, though when I’ve used it so far it has still struck pretty automatically. I haven’t had to do anything to it on purpose.
I’m posting these to remind myself how elegant simple beads can be. I’m rather envious of lampworkers who manage to make whole sets out of beads like these, with or without surface decoration. I’ve never managed the patience to do that yet myself! Focal and matching plain spacers, or pairs of decorated spacers I can do, but a set of 6-8 same size, same decoration beads? Nope. And I think that’s something I should work on.
Part of the problem right now is that I work full time, so can only lampwork in the evenings and weekends, and I have something else that is also eating up a lot of that time right now. So when I sit down to torch I want to try as many different things as possible, rather than repeating one. Hopefully later in the year I will have adjusted the work balance a bit so that I have more time for lampwork, and consistency and discipline in making sets is something I want to aim for then.
To illustrate, now to jump to something completely different!
This is red roof tile, partly encased in amber and with some triton murrini I made on the surface. I like the colour contrast in this bead a lot, and I’m very pleased how the murrini came out. You can get quite a number of different effects out of them depending on how you treat them – the number of times reduced, whether you encase them, etc etc – which I intend to go into in a future post.