Sewing updates, after my post on UK Scrapstores. Here’s what I’ve done with some of the fabric.
I started off by cutting out some bits from solid-colour samples and appliquéing them onto a white cotton background. (Probably should have ironed it a few more times in between and/or sewed more carefully – I have a bit of gathering in my white).
Then I made it into a drawstring bag, using the pattern at LoveMeSew.
That pattern is made from a single piece of fabric and has a gap at one side for the drawstring. The bag with the squares was made using the same pattern, but is kinda big! This is because I looked at the BCCA instructions for sizes, and it asks for two 9×12″ pieces of fabric, so I went “Oh, since I’m using a single piece, twice that is 18×24 inches”. No, no it isn’t.
It looks nice though!
The BoC pattern is a two-drawstring bag with a lining, which LoveMeSew has also done a pattern for, so next I made this one:
I used the white cotton for the lining and the same square pattern fabric for the outside. It’s pretty solid-feeling once you have both layers! All the hems are tucked away between the layers, so it looks well-finished too.
You can see I’ve also sewn on the BoC and BCCA badges for these bags. (Be Child Cancer Aware will send you some if you’re going to make them bags – you can contact them on FB).
For my next trick, I’m going to try BCCA’s pattern for the bags – the LoveMeSew one involves sewing the linings together and the outers together, so you have a fully closed tube with lining on one side and outer on the other, then you turn the whole thing inside-out through a little gap left in the lining and hand sew that closed at the end. The BCCA pattern has you sewing the lining and outer into tubes from the start and turning them back and forth – it was rather confusing, so I went through it with pinned fabric only and think I have a better idea. I will see how the time taken and finish compares, and which way I like better.
(I do have a tendency to sew front to back at least once when working on a tube…)
Anyway, so far I have only had to unpick a very few sections, and pricked my finger once when hand-sewing the badges on my first bag (I had them before making the second, so could do that one by machine). Success!