Posts Tagged aquamarine
Last week’s nails.
• Revlon white (part of a neon duo set)
• Collection 2000 Hot Looks – Big Hair (the red)
• Pretty – Scatter effect (black dots in whitish grey)
• Sinful Colors Time Off (nail art black)
• Seche Vite top coat
I like the way this came out. I wanted something to try out the scatter polish with. It needs a base under it because it is a very translucent whitish grey with the little black dots in it. It isn’t hugely saturated with glitter either, so you get quite a thick layer of polish with not a great deal of dots, so to layer it up itself to opaque would be tricky.
Big Hair is a lovely bright red that I like a lot.
The Sinful Colors nail art black was a very handy find, also in Poundland. I didn’t actually know it was a nail art one when buying it, I was just after any black, and the label was printed in black… The brush is really nice – very long and thin and great for making the lines.
Oh and this last one was from before. The beads are ornate bicones in a nice creamy coloured base with flame shards applied. The nail polish was Revlon’s Chroma Chameleon aquamarine, which has lilacs at some angles. I put Chit Chat Ariel on top, which is another of Poundland’s. Very pretty blue-aqua hex glitter in two sizes, though again there’s a lot of thick base polish and the glitter’s not so saturated. This was two coats, with Seche Vite stuck on top to get it to actually dry – the clear base is a very jelly one. Still pretty, just don’t try and get full glitter coverage with these!
I thought I’d try something that used wire in an actual piece of jewellery, so I started with a pendant. I’d been reading the tutorials on Jewelrymaking.about.com – the Beginners’ Corner and Basics sections are very handy when you’re a total beginner – plenty of small steps and photographs.
I made a pendant that consists of a large aquamarine chip hanging from a circle. The circle’s threaded with seed beads in grey, greens and clear. There’s a loop at the top to hang it on a necklace. It’s made with thicker wire than I use for the trees – 0.6mm silver-plated copper.
The first picture is a photograph, the second is a scan of the pendant that I took later – the photo has better colour fidelity but is fuzzier. The aquamarine looks far too grey in the scan.
It took me rather a long time for something so simple – the first time I was wire-wrapping the aquamarine chip, my wire broke just as I was finishing it (reason #1 not to overwork your wire!) so I had to take it off and start again.
Things I learned in the process:
- Be very, very careful with your wire. More careful than that!
- Round nose pliers. I need some.
- Ditto for jewellers’ pliers in general
My loops had to be made diamond-shaped because without round-nose pliers I could only make very wonky-looking circles. A diamond at least looked deliberate! Also, if you looked closely you could definitely see scratches on the wire from the pliers, because their inside surface wasn’t completely flat.
(I also have a photo with the pendant on the little notebook I’ve started using to sketch my designs – the quality’s not great, but it amuses me to put them side by side).
We are now up to July 16th in my adventures in jewellery-making.