Posts Tagged boc

Sewing: BoC bags

Here are some more bags for Beads of Courage that I made in October.

Two in green camo-print and another red car bag.

15.10.05_BoCcamobags

Here we have a swan, a blue and peach swirly feathery design (I have a fair bit of that, in odd-shaped long thin pieces – it’s an 80s possibly-wax-print fabric), and a gold on beige patterned bag. I really love the way that one looks with the burnt orange I used to line it.

15.10.05_BoCswanswirlbags_01

Rearranged so you can see the feathery one.

15.10.05_BoCswanswirlbags_02

I’ve just received some Designers Guild kids range samplers (also Scrapstore), and there are some really lovely and cute pieces in there, so I will be making bags from those next.

I also made myself a new pincushion – since I have two sewing machines now, I keep finding my pincushion is at the wrong one… (My current pincushion is one I made at primary school – two squares of felt hand-sewn together). This is a Scrapstore fabric that I’m hoarding somewhat since I love the design, suns and planets on red – I decided to use a little bit of it to make something for me.

15.08.23_sunpincushion_02 15.08.23_sunpincushion_01

I stuffed it with thread offcuts – I keep those along with trimmed frayed edges and other tiny little unusable scraps in a box for this kind of thing.

15.08.23_threadstuffing

I also did a little experimenting with fabric paints – the ones I used here are Pebeo paints, but I also have medium to add to my normal acrylics, and I have some Procion dyes. Paint sits on top of the fabric so makes it stiffer – I thought of using dye for most of it and then possibly adding thin lines for illustration with paint, if I want to illustrate it. I was just doodling with this to see how the paint worked. (White fabric also from the Scrapstore). The frame is a quilting hoop that is very handy for this – I noticed that The Works had small hoops when I was there, so got a pair of those too for smaller pieces of fabric.

15.08.16_bluegreendoodle_01

Advertisements

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a comment

A few more bags

I had been going to write something about these a while ago, but time moves on… These are all Scrapstore fabrics.

Anyway, I had made two goes of patchwork bags. In the first I had the edges just laid over each other and zigzagged over them all, front and back (uses a lot of thread that way!). The second I cut out squares from an upholstery sampler and straight-stitched them together with the seams inside. Not perfectly lined up.

15.04_BoCPatchworkBag 15.05.03_BoCPatchworkBag

I made a pair of bags in fabric with a car pattern, one red and one blue.

15.06.10_BoCcarbags

I made the red bag in a different way: the inside and outside made separately, then put together so the top is what you have to sew up rather than leaving a hole in the side for turning. It means the inside seams are all hidden, but that you have a topstitched rim. Not entirely convinced – I like the very clean join at the top of the inside-out way.

15.06.10_BoCredcartop

I made an alphabet bag and a flowery bag.

15.06.10_BoCbags_butterflyalphabet

I sewed on a pair of pretty wooden butterfly buttons to go with the flowers.

15.06.10_BoC_butterfly

, , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comment

Sewing: drawstring bags for Beads of Courage

Sewing updates, after my post on UK Scrapstores. Here’s what I’ve done with some of the fabric.

I started off by cutting out some bits from solid-colour samples and appliqu̩ing them onto a white cotton background. (Probably should have ironed it a few more times in between and/or sewed more carefully РI have a bit of gathering in my white).

15.03.26_applique

Then I made it into a drawstring bag, using the pattern at LoveMeSew.

15.03.27_firstBoCbags

That pattern is made from a single piece of fabric and has a gap at one side for the drawstring. The bag with the squares was made using the same pattern, but is kinda big! This is because I looked at the BCCA instructions for sizes, and it asks for two 9×12″ pieces of fabric, so I went “Oh, since I’m using a single piece, twice that is 18×24 inches”. No, no it isn’t.

It looks nice though!

The BoC pattern is a two-drawstring bag with a lining, which LoveMeSew has also done a pattern for, so next I made this one:

15.03.29_BoCbags

I used the white cotton for the lining and the same square pattern fabric for the outside. It’s pretty solid-feeling once you have both layers! All the hems are tucked away between the layers, so it looks well-finished too.

You can see I’ve also sewn on the BoC and BCCA badges for these bags. (Be Child Cancer Aware will send you some if you’re going to make them bags – you can contact them on FB).

For my next trick, I’m going to try BCCA’s pattern for the bags – the LoveMeSew one involves sewing the linings together and the outers together, so you have a fully closed tube with lining on one side and outer on the other, then you turn the whole thing inside-out through a little gap left in the lining and hand sew that closed at the end. The BCCA pattern has you sewing the lining and outer into tubes from the start and turning them back and forth – it was rather confusing, so I went through it with pinned fabric only and think I have a better idea. I will see how the time taken and finish compares, and which way I like better.

(I do have a tendency to sew front to back at least once when working on a tube…)

Anyway, so far I have only had to unpick a very few sections, and pricked my finger once when hand-sewing the badges on my first bag (I had them before making the second, so could do that one by machine). Success!

, , , , , , ,

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: